Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Smores Blanket

This is another story of impulsive buying of clearance yarn.  I found it for only $1 a skein, and bought all of it they had, about 20 skeins.  Then it sat in my stash, and continued to sit.  Finally I decided I needed to use it and started a blanket, my favorite way to crochet down my stash.  When I was finished with what I normally do, I still had a couple of skeins left.  So I decided why not make the border just a little bit wider?  It's annoying to have left over yarn because then you have to figure out what to do with it or just let it sit, taking up space.  So, I added another couple of rounds to the border.

This was the first blanket I've made with self-striping yarn, and it was interesting.  The sections of one color don't even make it one whole row, but they're much longer than in variegated yarn.  I liked the striated look that it gave.  The colors reminded me of a combination of neapolitan ice cream and smores.  Basically, one section looks like toasted marshmallows, another looks like graham crackers, another kinda sorta like chocolate, and still another like strawberries.  So, it's smores with strawberries added to the mix.

Anyway, I had decided to give a blanket as a Christmas gift to a family at church, and knew basically the colors that I wanted, but I just couldn't come up with anything I wanted to make.  Then I happened to see this blanket that I had already finished, and realized it was exactly what I had been trying to design.  I couldn't come up with something I wanted to make because I'd already done it.  So I gave it to them, and they loved it, even remarking that I had gotten the colors right.

Chain 185, then work the spaced shell stitch until satisfied with length. 
Round 1: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 2: dc around, 5 dc in each corner
Round 3: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 4: dc around, 5 dc in each corner
Round 5: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 6: dc around, 5 dc in each corner
Round 7: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
 
I made this with Red Heart Stripes yarn in Latte Stripes with a J hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment