Saturday, April 21, 2012

Book in Review

So, it has been a long journey through the book and I've tried 30 new stitches.  Hopefully, my comments on the stitches have been helpful, letting you get a better feel for the stitches.  Now that I have completed a baby blanket from each stitch, I can emphatically say that this book is worth buying, owning, and using.  Although not every stitch is one I want to reuse, there are many that I do.  My favorite stitches are 1 and 13. 

This book can be found at most craft stores.  Hobby Lobby in particular tends to put it on clearance with some regularity.  Whenever I see it on clearance, I buy it because I like to give it to my crocheting friends because I know it's great.  If you can't find it on clearance, Joanns routinely puts their pattern books on 30% off sale.  I know that coupons work on it at A.C. Moore, but not at Michaels.  I have not attempted to purchase pattern books with coupons elsewhere.  See my Coupon Guide on how to obtain coupons. 

Here's a quick overview of the book.
Stitch  1: Awesome checker pattern and would be great for any sized project.
Stitch  2: Elegant simplicity.  It's kinda lacy and works for any sized project.
Stitch  3: Very solid stitch, slight ripple.  Need lots of rows to keep it from twisting up.
Stitch  4: My go-to ripple pattern.  Nice squared off edges.  Great for any sized project.
Stitch  5: Thick fabric; kinda slow, great for dishcloths.
Stitch  6: Pretty hexagons, little bit lacy.  Great for any sized project.
Stitch  7: Light cabling, kinda tedious. I don't plan to reuse it.
Stitch  8: Modified shell stitch.  Quick and easy; works for any sized project.
Stitch  9: To this day I detest this stitch.  If you like the look, try stitch 24.
Stitch 10: Pretty and lacy.  Works for large projects.
Stitch 11: Very lacy with large holes.  I don't plan to reuse it.
Stitch 12: Lacy, complicated pattern.  Works for larger projects.
Stitch 13: Surprisingly wonderful, lacy cabled look.  Great for any sized project.
Stitch 14: Lacy and complicated; kinda stretchy.  I don't plan to reuse it.
Stitch 15: Disorganized look, but so simple.  Works for any sized project.
Stitch 16: Checkered look, nice and simple.  Works for any sized project.
Stitch 17: Very solid stitch.  Need to have lots of rows to keep it from twisting up.
Stitch 18: Lacy stitch.  Cross and puff stitches.  Works for any sized project.
Stitch 19: Simple lace stitch.  Easily modified.  Works for any sized project.
Stitch 20: Changing width stripes.  Attention required. I don't plan to reuse it.
Stitch 21: Masculine stitch.  Solid, quick, and easy.  Works for any sized project.
Stitch 22: Medallions, quick and easy.  Works for any sized project.
Stitch 23: Subtly elegant stitch. Diagonal hexagons.  Great for larger projects.
Stitch 24: Better version of stitch 9.  Slow and simple.  I don't plan to reuse it.
Stitch 25: Solid triangles. Need to have lots of rows to keep it from twisting up.
Stitch 26:  Very slow, complicated and difficult.  Textured.  I don't plan to reuse it.
Stitch 27: Complicated lace pattern.  Good for large projects.
Stitch 28: Modified shell stitch.  So very quick and easy.  Great for any sized project.
Stitch 29: Modified shell stitch and grid.  Fairly easy.  Works for any sized project.
Stitch 30: Puffy lace stitch.  Fairly easy to do.  Works for larger projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment