Saturday, March 17, 2012

Keeping it simple: Stitch Twenty-One

This stitch grew on me as I worked it.  It grows quickly because each row has the height of a double crochet, and it is an easy stitch to work.  It is apparent where the special part of the stitch goes, and every row is the same, just shifted to make the pattern.  This is the most masculine crochet stitch I have found.  It is solid, and not frilly at all.  If I were going to make a blanket for a guy, I would probably use this stitch for it.  With the color pattern that I used, it looks like long stitches alternate colors opposite of the way the rest of the work alternates.  It goes yellow, gray, brown, instead of yellow, brown, gray. 

The color pattern I used was (1 row of yellow, 1 row of gray, 1 row of brown) repeated, ending with a yellow row.  I did the border in gray.

Here's how to make this:
Chain 91, then work the stitch until work is square.  Add a border and you're done.
Round 1: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 2: dc around, 5 dc in each corner
Round 3: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 4: (sc, ch 3, sk 1) around, (sc, ch 3, sc in same stitch) at corner

I made this using Bernat Satin yarn in Denim Mist Heather (gray), Banana (yellow), and Sable (brown) and a J hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment