Saturday, February 11, 2012

Stitching away: Stitch Nine!

This is the first stitch in the book that I truly dislike.  It looks so simple yet even after completing an entire baby blanket it is unclear where exactly you do each component of the stitch.  Eventually, I decided to just go with it and accepted that the stitches weren't going to line up correctly.  Unless you are familiar with the craft (and are looking for it), you wouldn't notice the issue, but it was frustrating to no end for me.  What saved this blanket was the yarn: I chose to make this out of some beautiful, silky, variegated yarn.

When I went to take pictures of the finished product I was able to look at it more objectively.  My frustration with the stitch colored my perception of the blanket.  It is prettier than I originally gave it credit.  The stitch is actually fairly simple and lacy, and that is what comes through in the blanket.  (Still, I would never use this stitch again.)

Here's how to make it:
Chain 91 then work the stitch until work is square.  Then add a border:
Round 1: sc around, 3 sc in each corner (gold)
Round 2: sc around, 3 sc in each corner (ombre)
Round 3: sc around, 3 sc in each corner (gold)
Round 4: sc around, 3 sc in each corner (ombre)
Round 5: sc around, 3 sc in each corner (gold)
Round 6: (sc, ch 3, sk 1) around, (sc, ch 3, sc in same stitch) at corner (gold)

The stitch looks the same on both sides, but the border looks different, pictured below.

I made this using Bernat Satin Sport Southwest Ombre and Taupe and a J hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment