Sunday, January 29, 2012

Zigzagging along: Stitch Four!

The problem with most ripple patterns is that they generally require you to count stitches almost constantly.  I had a frustrating experience with a rippled afghan fairly early on in my crocheting career and have been looking for an easy ripple pattern.  I was looking forward to trying this stitch because it appeared to fit the bill.  This stitch did not disappoint: it is now my go to pattern for ripples.  I made this entire baby blanket in only two days.  This was the quickest baby blanket to date and it is gorgeous.  Another plus is that it begins and ends with a straight row making adding a border easy and not awkward.  This stitch would be appropriate for scarves with either a long or short starting chain.

The color pattern I used is 1 row of white, 2 rows of maroon, then (2 rows of white, 2 rows of maroon) repeated, ending with a single row of white.

So here's how to make it: Ch 94 and work stitch until work is square.  Then add a maroon border and you're done.
Round 1: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 2: dc around, 5 dc in each corner
Round 3: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 4: (sc, ch 3, sk 1) around, (sc, ch 3, sc in same stitch) at corner

I used Bernat satin yarn in Bordeaux and Snow with a J hook to make this blanket.

2 comments:

  1. I must be missing something.....what type of stitch do you do after the chain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reviewed this book: Triple Play Pattern Stitches. The 30 stitches in this series all came from this book. Details are on this post:
      http://engineeredcrochet.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-have-plan.html

      Delete